BA International Development Studies
A major in International Development Studies at Portland State University prepares students to understand the challenges that developing nations face to achieve improved living conditions for their inhabitants.
|Full-time Duration:||4 years|
|Starting in:||January, March, September|
|Tuition Fee:||$29,837 per year|
|Location:||Portland Campus (Portland, United States) / Blended|
In our courses, we emphasize how development is shaped by the intersections of politics, economy, social and political power, and culture at global, national, and regional levels. Our majors acquire a critical understanding of environmental vulnerabilities and socio-economic inequalities in the developing world, grounded in an appreciation of global history.
The major in International Development Studies at Portland State University are well-prepared for further graduate education and to work in NGOs and state agencies alike.
A degree in International Development Studies prepares students for a wide range of careers in the nonprofit, private, and government sectors. Graduates of our program have found opportunities all over the world in:
- Graduate programs in International Affairs, Business, International Development, Political Science, Urban Studies, Public Health, etc.
- Private-sector employers, including international businesses
- Aid organizations such as the International Red Cross
- Nonprofits focused on issues ranging from health to education, food systems, gender rights, sustainability, and more
- Business incubators and trade organizations
- Government agencies and grassroots organizations, with a focus on international affairs
- Journalism and media organizations